Friday, December 14, 2012

DIY Colored Sugar Sprinkles

Hello everyone! 

Today I have a DIY kind of "recipe" for you! It's fun enough you can do it with your kids if you have any! I would have done this with my nephew if he was over.. and if I wouldn't have been doing it at midnight. Hah


Yup! This is all of the colored sugar that I made! It was really fun and the longer that it dries before you use it the more it looks "glittery". It's really neat and a cool way to decorate Christmas cookies, or just cookies in general. And you don't have to worry about buying the sprinkles from the store that taste horrid. These taste just like sugar regardless of the food coloring in it!

These are the supplies you will need! (minus the cookies in the upper corner. Recipe soon!)

You will need::
  1. Sugar
  2. LIQUID Food Coloring
  3. Aluminum Foil
  4. Container to shake sugar in
  5. Ziploc sandwich baggies, or whatever else to store the sugar in
  6. Measuring cups, or if you use metric a scale



Measure out 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar (caster sugar) 

Choose the colors that you want to use for your sugar.
For this particular one I used 3 drops of Yellow, Blue and Red. (I wound up adding quite a bit more blue)

(I've read where people suggest doing 1 drop of food coloring at a time, but I found no ill-effect of adding multiple drops together. However, you do need to shake a bit more to break up the sugar that soaked up the color. Which is really no problem because it works the color in more)

This is the color that mine turned out. Please remember I did add quite a bit more blue to get it to this color.

Once your sugar is fully mixed take a section of aluminum foil and spread the sugar out into a layer to dry.
Let dry for 1 hour.

Once dry transfer the sugar into whatever you plan on storing this in.

I made a red sugar as well, which is not pictured. I had to use quite a lot of red food coloring to get the right color. So be mindful of that. Also! In the top set of pictures, that is the true-ish color of each of the sugars. I really just mixed colors until I got the color I wanted. I wound up with a highlighter orange, hot pink and a lavender that did not photograph. That green is also really that bright. Crazy huh?!

If you decide to do this, let me know! I really would love to see the colors that you all come up with!! I think this is a really fun idea for the whole family!! Just remember that if you do it with kids, make sure the lid is on tight, that way you don't end up with a mess. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment