Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Raisin-Nut Filled Cookies

My Dad wanted raisin-nut filled cookies and I've never made them before, so I went searching on the good ol' trust Google. I figured I would give it a try. These were a bit difficult for me to make to be honest. It took me almost 3 hours. From having to cook the filling to mixing and rolling the dough. If you live in Florida, you know the humidity and how hard it is to roll out dough. It just does not want to work out.I myself am allergic to pecans, so I opted for walnuts. I don't eat nuts or raisins, so I wont be enjoying these cookies. However, I made Chris, My Mom, Brother AND Dad try these and they all said they were fantastic! :D Which makes me proud because this was my first time making them. These smell absolutely amazing, it kind of stinks that I can't eat them. I do plan on making this recipe, but using jam instead. :) You really can switch up the filling to whatever suits your taste! 



Filling:
1 cup (201grams) granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
1 cup (136) raisins
1 cup (122grams) nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Dough:
1 cup (201grams) granulated sugar
1 cup (220grams) brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) (113grams) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (102.5grams ) shortening
3 eggs
5 cups (640grams) flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. To make filling, combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook until thickened. Let cool.
  2. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C)
  3. To make dough, combine granulated and brown sugar with butter and shortening; cream well; add eggs and blend. In a separate bowl, sift flour with baking powder, salt, nutmeg and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture along with buttermilk and vanilla.
  4. Roll dough 1/8-inch (3.2mm or 0.32cm) thick on floured board and cut with cookie cutter. Place 1 tablespoon of filling on a cookie; place another cookie on top, press edges together. Seal with a fork. Place on a greased baking sheet. (or use parchment/grease proof paper)
  5. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.



TIPS:

These cookies can be made omitting the nuts. I made 2 mixtures, one with nuts and one without. The one without you have to cook a bit longer before it starts to thicken. 
If you don't like raisins or nuts, you can also just fill them with jam.
In my person opinion, instead of rolling out two rounds for a top and bottom, put the filling on one side of the round and fold it in half. It would be a better cookie-filling ratio. 
You can also use an egg wash (1 egg and 1 tablespoon water) and brush over top for a glossy look, it will also help to brown it more. I did not do this step on mine. 
You can really use any filling or nuts. 
For this recipe I suggest using only one circle of dough and folding it over in half instead of two pieces of dough. I felt that having two pieces of dough was a bit much, then again that it just me. 


If you try this let me know! I would love to know what you think of it and if you switch up the recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment